Clement-Jones family - Person Sheet
Clement-Jones family - Person Sheet
NameJohn NICHOLSON, 15405
Birth1762
Death1825
FatherThomas NICHOLSON , 15433
Spouses
Birth1768, Moyallon Co Down
Burial1838
FatherJoseph WAKEFIELD , 15399 (1744-1821)
MotherHannah CHRISTY , 15402 (1748-1779)
Marriage1785
ChildrenAlexander Jaffray , 15406 (1793-1831)
 Richardson , 15432
Notes for John NICHOLSON


From http://www.craigavonhistoricalsociety.org.uk/rev/mcelroythenicholsons.html


Towards the end of the 18th century the Nicholsons were substantial landowners on either side of the village of Gilford. On the Banbridge side were the bleachers of Hall's Mill and Springvale who resided in Banford House (now the home of Mr David Cook) and on the Portadown side the Nicholsons of Stramore living in Stramore House (now the home of the Watson family).

It is surprising to discover that both these families were much involved in the Yeomanry which would seem to be at variance with the pacifist tenets of the Quaker faith. It may be that some had moved to other denominations though this seems unlikely. James Nicholson Richardson was aware of this duality between militarism and pacifism when he wrote, "the pioneers were men of war, embracing in large numbers the Friendly principles of peace. Distinguished soldiers - Roberts, Nicholson and others sprang from the ranks of the Quakers". (The Roberts referred to here is Field Marshal Lord Roberts V.C. of Kandahar, Pretoria and Waterford otherwise known as Bobs Bahadur or Heroic Bobs.)

Both Nicholson families built towers for the Yeomanry close to their houses. The one beside Stramore House still stands but the other, the Black Tower at Banford , was demolished some years ago. Local legend has it that it was possible to signal from the top of one of these towers to the other and although this looks improbable because of the hills between, both towers had been significantly reduced in height before the destruction of the Black Tower so it would be unwise to dismiss this oral history too readily.

As well as building the tower at Banford, Robert Nicholson, a close relative of John of Stramore, set aside a large field on the Gilford side of Banford House to be used as a parade ground by the Yeomanry. ( In a return presented to the House of Commons in August 1803 we find :- Bann Infantry (Capt. R. J. Nicholson,) 1 Subaltern, 2 Sergeants, 1 Drummer and 50 Infantry ). This parade ground was the site of a notorious mutiny on Sept. 11th 1810 caused by sectarian differences within the force. The mutiny occurred during a parade of various units; these being the Waringstown Cavalry under the command of John L. Reilly (Scarva House ), the Bann Infantry commanded by the above Robert Jaffray of Banford and the Scarva Infantry commanded by another Reilly, William E. Reilly of Colenacran.
Last Modified 6 Nov 2016Created 6 Jan 2019 using Reunion for Macintosh