Clement-Jones family - Person Sheet
Clement-Jones family - Person Sheet
NameWilliam Frederick Anderson GILFILLAN, 2644
Birth27 Jan 1796, Elizabeth Castle, Jersey, Channel Islands
Death1855, Cradock, Cape Province SA
BurialSt. Peter's Church Cemetery, Cradock.
MotherElizabeth BRIDGES , 2646
Spouses
Birth1807
Death13 Feb 1879
BurialSt. Peter's Church Cemetery, Cradock.
MotherDorothea MOUNSEY , 2689
Marriage1822, Bathurst
Children Edward Stockenstrom Lodewikus , 2640 (1838-1908)
 Henry Philip Cam , 2403 (1841-1897)
 Dorothea Mounsey “Dora” , 2399 (1834-1898)
 William Thornhill , 2402 (1822-)
 Frederick Mounsey , 2678 (1824-1885)
 Anna Frances , 2681
 John Murray , 2682
 Christopher , 2683
 Charlotte , 2684
 Alfred , 2687
 Sophia Sara , 2688
Notes for William Frederick Anderson GILFILLAN
William was baptised on 20 Feb 1796 at a service attended by the son of King George III, Prince William Frederick , Duke of York, who was Commander-in-Chief of the British Army and was on an inspection tour of Jersey Island. William first arrived at the Cape in 1812 as an Ensign in the 60th Rifles. He stayed until 1818 but returned as an 1820 British Settler in 1820, onboard the Zoroaster with Thornhill's Party. His brother, Adam was also onboard. Because William was still a paid military officer, he does not appear in the official Settlers list. He became the first Resident Magistrate of Cradock. He died in Cradock on 04 Sept 1855 and was buried at St. Peter's Church Cemetery, Cradock. The family is mentioned by Lucy GRAY in her book, A Victorian Lady at the Cape 1849­1855.


From http://users.kingsley.co.za/~paw0470/History.html
"The town of Cradock which stands on the banks of the Great Fish River had been founded in 1814. It was a true 'border town' lying as it did at the very edge of the Cape Colony with Kaffraria across the river. In 1837 the district of Cradock was created by Ordinance and William Anderson Gilfillan was appointed Commissioner. The Gilifillans played a major role in the area over many years and later married into the Flemmer family, when Edward Gilfillan married Charlotte Marie Louise Flemmer in 1864.
By 1837 better buildings were going up and a weekly post was received on Saturdays and delivered on Sundays. The streets were described at this time as being ill kept, and in a shocking state and the Square a mass of stones and dust. The 1845 Cape Almanac shows that the district was improving. William Gilfillan was still much in evidence as the President of the School Commission, and there was a Municipal Board, a doctor (R.M. Armstrong) and an apothecary. It had a government school and a private seminary."
Last Modified 1 Jan 2010Created 6 Jan 2019 using Reunion for Macintosh