Clement-Jones family 12/22 - Person Sheet
Clement-Jones family 12/22 - Person Sheet
NameBoscawen Trevor GRIFFITH BOSCAWEN JP , 8
Birth14th August 1835, Lower Bridge Street, Chester
Death30th December 1904, Trevalyn, Rossett, Wales
EducationRugby and Exeter College, Oxford
FatherThomas GRIFFITH JP DL , 626 (1786-1856)
Birth11 May 1834, Naples, Italy
Death18 May 1930, 80 Cornwall Gardens, Kensington, London
FatherVice-Admiral Norwich DUFF , 435 (1792-1862)
MotherHelen Mary SHOOLBRED , 1478 (1811-1895)
Marriage23rd June 1857, Walcot Church, Bath, Somerset
ChildrenBoscawen Trevor “Trevor” , 6 (1860-1941)
 Arthur Sackville Trevor , 280 (1865-1946)
 Helen Evelyn Trevor , 284 (1867-1945)
 Alice Catherine Trevor , 289 (1870-1963)
Notes for Boscawen Trevor GRIFFITH BOSCAWEN JP
Little Bos’ portrait as a little boy is at 10 Northbourne Road. He was a Lieutenant in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers (23rd Foot) who served in the Crimea in 1855, and was present at the assault on the Great Redan and the fall of Sebastopol : for which he had a medal and clasp.

His letters, medal and diary from the Crimea have been given to the Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum in Caernarvon, who have published the full text of his diary as a booklet. At Scutari Hospital he met Florence Nightingale.

He was promoted Captain after the Crimea but was invalided out of the Army. He changed his name from GRIFFITH to GRIFFITH-BOSCAWEN to comply with his mother’s will. High Sheriff of Denbighshire in 1864. Chairman Quarter sessions 1881-1904. For more details see “Trevors of Trevalyn”. Memorial tablets both at Rossett and Gresford Churches.

ESJ’s notes:

“Educatied at Rugby and Exeter College Oxford. After leaving Oxford joined the 23rd foot (RWF) and went out to the Crimea with reinforcements arriving at Balaklava Harbour on 8th August 1855. He went up to the camp of the light infantry division before Sebastapol, commanded by Major General Codrington and joined his regiment there.

Lt BTG took part in the storming of the Redan fort on 8th September and afterwards became ill with dysentery. After two months he was sent to hospital at Scutari but only remained until 18th January 1856 before being dispatched to England. He ramained in the RWF until the spring of 1857 when he sent in his resignation which was accepted and he received besides what was paid for his commission £200 for his services and a very handsome and flattering letter from the commanding officer Major Bruce.

BTG spent the rest of his life at Trevalyn. He served as Captain in the Royal Denbighshitre militia, was a magistrate for the counties of Denbigh and Flint and Deputy Lieutenant for Denbighshire and High Sheriff in 1864, for 33 years Chairman of the Wrexham Board of Guardians and 25 years Chairman of Quarter Sessons.

In 1875 at the request of his mother he assumed her surname of Boscawen in addition to that of Griffith. He died on 30th Dec 1904”
Last Modified 12 Nov 2022Created 4 Mar 2023 using Reunion for Macintosh